Friday, March 26, 2010

Viva Hyderabad, Gurgaon

Viva Hyderabad
MGF Megacity Mall
Gurgaon

While shopping at Spencers Hypermarket the other day, was hit by the hunger pangs. Not suprising, given that I had spent over 3 hours in the store.

The main mall above did not have any eating options other than Costa (I'v e had an overdose of Costa in Egypt as it was one of the few places we could eat at, so I refuse to step near one in India or a McDonalds for that matter, 2 food carts - chaat and hot dogs and a pub. The pub was ruled out. As a single woman I wasn't about to enter a pub in Gurgaon.

So it was a huge relief to see that tucked in the corner of the basement were a few more eating options. Cafe Coffee Day was easily dismissed, the South East Asian counter had an overpowering smell of burning soya sauce (from the grilling) which made me semi nauseous, the Moets counter wasnt looking very appetising, so Viva Hyderabad it was. Although it may not have been my first choice, it was definitely the right choice.

The menu in this outlet is very limited.6 types of biryani, 3 starters, 4 curries and some small stuff. Since it was Hyderabadi food, I asked the guy at the counter if he could make my biryani really spicy. He said that everything was pre-packed so he couldn't change anything. But he promised me that it would be medium spicy.

What an understatement! I had the Qabooli Mutton Biryani (Rs 142) which is split yellow gram with mutton Biryani. It was spicy! The right spicy - to explode in my mouth, yet not enough to cause tears to roll down my cheeks.

The flavors were exquisite but the rice was a little dry. The accompanying sherva (gravy) helped moisten it a little, but the taste of the sherva was interfering with the taste of the biriyani for me.

I did like their biryani though and will try it from some of their other outlets where I may be more likely to find fresher versions rather than reheated packs.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis