Tuesday, June 03, 2014

Toran Dining Hall, Ahmedabad

Toran Dining Hall
Opposite Sales India,
Ashram Road,
Ahmedabad
+91 7820005584

Having heard so much about Toran from my foodie friends, I knew that I wanted to try it out.

So headed here for lunch with mum. Its a much smaller and simpler place than most of the other "famous" Gujarati thali places in town, but the style of cooking is much more homely and I guess that is why they have such a huge fan following. We entered at 2:40pm and there was a constant stream of people coming in right past 3:15pm, which is when I think they finally closed their doors to new customers.

Variety of food was standard compared to the other thali places, 2 farsaan (dhokla and a deep fried potato nugget with stuffing), 4 chutney/pickle/salad (cucumber salad, coriander chutney, tomato sauce, mixed pickle), 4 vegetables(peas curry, aloo mutter curry, beans dry and bhindi dry), dal, kadhi, rotlas (phulkas) and puris, aamras and a balushai (sweet). they serve rice/pulao for lunch and khichdi at dinner. All of this is unlimited. You also get 1 large glass of chaas/chaach/buttermilk.

The food was simple and homely and hence extremely light on the stomach, especially if you request for your rotlas without ghee. Except for one of the farsaans, everything was cooked without onions and garlic too.

Service was given with a lot of care and attention, given how busy and fast paced the service needs to be, especially the sweet old man who was serving the aamras. It was very difficult for me to say "no" to him. I hate mangoes, but I couldn't tell him that, as he got very upset and said that I should try their aamras before refusing it. I finally told him I was allergic to mangoes and that seemed to do the trick :) I hate wasting food on my plate if I can help it.

This thali place is open for lunch and dinner, except on Mondays when they are only open for lunch. They only have one standard thali with all the items mentioned above which costs 230Rs for an adult and 130Rs for a child between the ages of 3 and 10.

Rating : 3.5 / 5

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis